Sunday, August 15, 2010

Letter to Congressman George Miller - 11AUG2010

Here's a letter I sent to Congressman George Miller regarding the US' recent abstention in a vote at the UN regarding drinking water as a fundamental human right.

Hello Mr. Miller,

I’m writing a short note today as one of your newer constituents. I recently relocated from San Luis Obispo to Concord, and will continue schooling up here this fall.

What I’m writing about is the United States’ recent abstention from the UN vote saying that drinkable water should be a fundamental human right. I find anything short of a hearty ‘hell yes’ vote to be astounding & altogether wrong.

I’m not sure what would prompt such a back-seat approach to such a pressing global matter, but I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that certain companies may well have a significant financial stake in water.

Perhaps the UN vote is well outside your purview, but I believe it’s a vitally important matter. I’m sure time will tell that the United States is drifting to the wrong side of history. This is yet another marginalization of the thing that makes this planet so incredible- people.

Thanks for your time & thanks for your service to our country.

Sincerely,

Joshua L. Shepherd
US Navy 2002-2008

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones